Fundraising Tips & Tools
Your fundraising changes the world for people affected by MS by fueling cutting-edge research and critical services. YOU can be a fundraising powerhouse – just use these tips, take advantage of the many resources available and aim for the stars!
1. Know your networks – Give friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances and business associates an opportunity to get involved and help you reach your goal - you never know who might donate to honor a connection to MS or who might be inspired to join your team. Need help? Use the Know Your Networks worksheet.
I send a letter to professionals to whom I give a lot of business (my vet, my doctors, the dealership where I bought my last car, etc) – they often have a budget to show appreciation to their customers and give back to the community.– Kelly Knox
2. Aim high – Set a goal that seems just out of reach. It will inspire you and the people you're asking for support.
3. Give to yourself – You'll show people this mission matters to you and kickstart your fundraising.
Donate a dollar to yourself now and then so that your total doesn't end in a '0' or '5'. People will tend to add 4 dollars to their donation to round out the number. Works every time!– Mike Figliulo
4. Set up your fundraising page to tell your story – Within the Fundraising Center, you have your very own web page. Be sure to customize it with your story and your pictures. Tell people why Bike MS matters to you. Another great way to share your journey is to blog within your Fundraising Center. Get started with our Fundraising Center Guide.
I use the blog tool to catalog my training and interesting stories. About half of my email list regularly reads my blog. If they are getting that far, they are only a click away from donating.– Kevin Fischer
5. Educate – You're not only raising funds, you're raising awareness about multiple sclerosis. People may have questions. Luckily, we have lots of answers: What is MS?, Progress in MS Research, and check out Why Bike MS?
Share the real-life challenges of one person that you know that has MS.– Craig Mason
6. Share your progress – Let people know where you stand and ask them to help you reach your goal.
7. Go mobile on iOS/Android – Upload a pre-training-ride selfie to your favorite social network and challenge your friends and family to support you. Stay connected to your fundraising on the go. Download the App User Guide ›
8. Get social and creative! – Setup a Facebook Fundraiser and engage your friends. Share facts about MS and give public shout outs to those that support you.
9. Double your impact with matching gifts – Many companies offer matching gifts for employees as well as loyal customers. Ask your donors to check if their company has a matching gift program that they can utilize. Visit our matching gifts FAQs to learn more.
10. Start now! – There's no time like the present. And results show the sooner you start, the more you'll raise. Give people the opportunity to give, and don't be afraid to ask again.
Ask EVERYONE you know to donate. Most will and surprisingly [it's] those you least expect.– Tara Sweitzer Jones